Saturday, June 5, 2010

A letter to my babies

Dear Levi & Sophie,
When I was first married to your daddy, I didn't think I cared if we ever had any children. I thought we'd be just fine, just the two of us. (Glad I was wrong about that!) When I went to work at a nursing home, I began to encounter numerous senior citizens that had no children. Because of this, they had no one to visit, no one to stroke their hair, no one to pop in for a quick visit with a special treat, no one to call home. This really hit me hard, and I began to feel the Lord prompting me to open my heart to the idea of expanding our family.

Levi, when I found out that I was going to have you, I was so scared but SO EXCITED! Every day with you has been an adventure. From figuring out how to take care of a newborn, to rejoicing in your first steps, to recently celebrating the end of your first year of preschool, it is an honor to be your mommy. You are 4 1/2 years old and you are so stinkin' smart. You've taught yourself how to read. You are OBSESSED with racing. You have a sharp sense of humor and you like to say, "are you joking me?" when being teased about something. You have a tender heart and your prayer life is growing by leaps and bounds. I love to hear you pray for the needs of those you love, including racecar drivers. I love the way you love your family, ALL of your family. I love to hear you whistle "Jesus Loves Me" to Sophie when we're riding in the car. I love to laugh with you and I really love to snuggle buggle every night. No matter how bad my day has been, being with you instantly brightens my spirit.

Sophie, when I found out I was going to have you, it was like I'd never done this before and again, I was so scared and SO EXCITED! Every day with you has been a blessing. Yes, we've had a newborn before and yes, everyone said it would all come back to us. But guess what? It hasn't and we've had to consult books and family and friends to help us remember just what to do. You've had some hard times with spitting up, but you are doing so much better. When you smile, your entire face just beams, radiates, explodes with sunshine. I love to hear you "sing" and blow raspberries. I love to hold you close and sing/rock you to sleep. I love to watch you "get" (grab) things and people, especially Levi. I love when you study him and smile to yourself when he's doing something funny. It is an honor to be your mommy! You are just over 6 months old and the time is going by so quickly! I love to tickle your sides and hear you laugh. I love to put big bows and big flowers on your head (thanks Daddy for tolerating the accessories!) and watching the smiles on peoples faces when they see you with them. You and Levi look so much alike, it is uncanny. I can't wait to see what the differences will be as you grow older. (and we're all hoping you have some curls too!) When I get home from work, I can't wait to hold you and hug you close. I love that when I come in from work and call your name, you smile so big at me!

Please know that I never want to take for granted the gift that God gave me when He gave me the two of you-healthy, beautiful, smart babies. I pray that we will raise you both to want to love Him and serve Him and have a heart for Him. I pray that one day you will both accept Him as your Lord & Savior. I love you so much and thank God for every day He gives us together. When the 4 of us are together, that is pure happiness for me. I love our family. I love your daddy, he is such an amazing gift from God and he loves you both so much. I don't think that either of us had any idea what we were getting into when we surrendered to the idea of having babies, but I know that we would never trade this opportunity for anything in the world.

I love you, Levi and Sophie. I can't wait to see just what God has in store for our family. Saddle up your horses, kids, THIS is the Great Adventure! :)
Love, Mommy

PS-I'm so thankful the Lord gave me the eye-opening experience of working in the nursing home. Know this: "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine." Isaiah 55:8

2 comments:

Debbie said...

aww- sheyna!
that is so sweet!

I hope you printed off 2 copies and put it in a special place for them!

MrsKing said...

In tears here. After spending this weekend with your two precious ones, I can't help but feel all that you've said. I can't believe how smart your children are. They are just precious! I sure do love the four of you!