Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Silly Boy, Sweet Girl

Levi, my 4 year old, has adjusted pretty good to having a baby in the house. He definitely is talking more than ever before (if that's possible!) and I think it's to get attention. Oh my word, he is so inquisitive! I tell him he is going to work for the FBI when he grows up because of all the questions. I know, I know, 4 year olds ask questions. But I don't think most 4 year olds ask questions like, "What kind of tires do you have on your car?", "Where do you get your hair cut? Who cuts it? What kind of tires do they have on their car?", etc... He is hilarious, but it does get old sometimes. This morning I was telling him not to do something and he started talking back. I said, "Don't backtalk me!" and he said, in the sweetest voice with total innocence, "I wasn't, I was front talking you." I mean, how can you get mad at that?! Also, he says (from a favorite book), that he would be carsick if he sat in the middle seat, but since he sits by the window, he says he is car feel better.
He is also teaching himself to read. It is amazing! He is sounding things out and putting the sounds together, on his own. He can read words , phrases and sentences that I cannot believe he knows. He is clearly smarter than me. :) It is hard sometimes to stay ahead of him. I cannot wait to hear him talk to Sophie and teach her things when she is bigger. It will be educational to say the least.
She is 7 weeks old and is starting to coo and smile and is so sweet! I love watching her start to "see" the world around her and can't wait to see what her personality and demeanor will be like. Will she talk as much as Levi (and me) or be quiet like her daddy? Only time will tell.

Sorry for all the gushing about my children, but I am just so proud of them. I am still amazed that they are mine! I take for granted the fact that I was able to have them with no trouble and that they are healthy and smart and sweet and well behaved. I am ashamed of myself for that. I have friends who have struggled to have babies and some who have tried and can't have them, and I'm ashamed that I don't praise God for the gifts of my babies more. I read blogs and hear about children who are sick or babies who lived brief lives, and I'm ashamed that I took for granted giving birth to healthy children and so far, Lord willing, raising healthy children. I praise God for their health! I thank God for them in my life and I pray that I will be a good mommy to them and teach them everyday about Jesus, their Savior.
Lord, help me praise You for all You've blessed me with and help me to REMEMBER these blessings when I am tempted to wallow in self pity. Help me to have perspective at the times I need it most.

Thank God that His mercies are new EVERY morning.

4 comments:

Mischia said...

Sweet baby stories. Levi's questions and answers made me smile!

Amber Benge said...

Amen!! And just so you know... Sophie is going to be a total drama queen. Jonathan is doomed!!

courtney7880 said...

Come on Amber...did you ever..for one minute...think that Sheyna could have a girl and she WOULDN'T be a drama queen??? I thought you were more perceptive...hmm...lol! Your children and precious, Sheyna, and you and Jonathan are very deserving parents! We love you guys and pray for you all the time...and it's ok to have hard times. You are human!!!!! Love you!

Amber Benge said...

Hey! I just gave you a blog award!!