I've had a whirlwind couple of days. Last week, I had the opportunity to see three of my dearest friends. On Thursday, I was reunited with a friend that I hadn't seen in at least 8 years. It was wild to introduce her to my kids and watch her interact with them. We immediately picked up where we left off and talked about old times and funny memories. I am so thankful that we are building a bridge back to being friends again. On Friday, my family traveled to support another friend in a musical she had choreographed. She has been so good to support my family and it was an honor to support her. On Saturday, I was able to attend church and have dinner out with my family and another friend & her husband. The sermon was powerful good, we all kept looking at each other like, yep, we were supposed to be here for this! We enjoyed a nice dinner out afterwards and got to see where they're living. It was a relaxing end to three busy days of travel. I am so thankful for each of these friendships. I met each of these girls during my years in college and I love that no matter what is going on, no matter how much time has passed, no matter how we've hurt each other (intentionally or not), we have each others backs. When life gets hard, we're there. When we have to say hard things to each other, it might hurt, but we're committed to the relationship. True friendship is a lot like marriage, I think. It's for better or worse.
I have, however, lived long enough to know that not every friendship lasts forever. And that's ok.
I was thinking about this recently and I thought of an old song by Wayne Watson. It's called "A Season in Your Path." Here are the liner notes & the lyrics to the song:
"When relationships grow distant, because of change or misunderstanding, it's easiest to mourn the loss, or be bitter, or even angry. I'm trying to, instead, be thankful for the seasons in the paths of friends, present and past. Gratitude brings peace."
A Season in Your Path-1993
Heard that friends are friends forever, But we don't talk much anymore.
I guess that I've gone my way, and I guess that you've gone yours.
Was kindness too neglected, on my list of deep regret.
In spite of distance unexpected, can we forgive but not forget.
Sometimes I think about you, some old memories make me cry.
Remembering the good times makes me laugh
But all in all I'm richer for the happy and the sad,
And thankful for a season in your path.
I guess God alone deciphers, when people need each other most.
Who will be the blessed receiver, and who will be the gracious host.
And all a servant here can do, is unto the Lord avail.
Content at times to be the wind, and at times to be the sail.
If another winter settles on your shoulder down the road,
Without a thought of what's behind us, let me help you pull your load.
Sometimes I think about you, some old memories make me cry.
Remembering the good times makes me laugh
But all in all I'm richer for the happy and the sad,
And thankful for a season in your path.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me. Over the years, as friendships have dissolved or drifted apart, I have listened to this song and had some good cries. It is hard to lose a friend. But God is good. He can redeem any situation. Any hurt. Any misunderstanding. Any loss.
And He can take a season in someone's path and turn it into a new journey in your walk with Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love this post Sheyna! Thank you for your encouragement and your prayers. God IS so GOOD!
Post a Comment